Monday, February 13, 2012

Say what?

Katie and I made a list of all the "English" we hear from our students and co-teachers on a regular basis. It was surprisingly difficult because this stuff is becoming normal. So, if you ever hear me say something off this list, don't judge me :)
 
You go first= You can leave first
Teacha game?= Can/will we play a game today?
Teacha pinisheeeeee= I am finished. This is my least favorite thing to hear and I cannot break their habit of saying it every single time they finish something
Teacha yogi?= do I sit here?
Take a rest= Take a break
Help yourself= Enjoy your meal/start eating
Teacha waaaaaayyyy?= Teacher, why?
I'm so-so= I'm ok
How about...= Do you want to...
Can you eat it= Do you like it?
My = me/I
Cunning= cheating
Pageee= page
Let's go together= Let's go
Teacha, face brown = Teacher your face is tan (this is obviously one of Katie's)
Teacha, born hair, golden? = Another one of Katie's. Her student thought she was born with blonde hair, like in the cartoon Rapunzel, and she cut it and it turned brown
Nice to meet you = nice to see you
I'm going to a business meeting = I'm going to a meeting
Yellow hair = blonde
Why = what
Sick = hurt. For example"finger sick"
Sweat = face water. I only heard this once but it was memorable
Water dog = seal

Koreans can't say the letter p; it always comes out as f. Finished = pinished, frog = prog, from = prom
D and T make the same sound in Korean, as well as L and R. The word ruler is a real struggle. Korean rarely ends a word with a consonant, so if an English word ends in a consonant they want to add uh or eee to the end. Nice = nice-uh, finish = pinisheee, cute = cutie

No comments:

Post a Comment