Saturday, November 5, 2011

Dance dance

 Earlier this week Yuri told me I should come to school Saturday morning to see an art festival. I assumed I would look at some paintings, say hi to my students, show my face, and go back to my apartment for a nap. I was so wrong. When I got there everyone was in the gym. It was full of parents and all the students were sitting in single file lines wearing sparkly costumes. I asked Yuri what was going on and she said "it's the art festival" like I was an idiot for not knowing that art festival means coreographed dances. Every grade did 2 songs. Of course some of the naughtiest kids were the best dancers, and nobody was more excited than the 5th and 6th grade boys. Seriously. It was a very interesting and very cute Saturday morning.
 The day started off with some traditional drums
 Then the kindergarteners did a little dance. The girls wore these tiny sparkly belly shirts, and I couldn't decide if it was cute or creepy
 2nd grade singing and dancing in matching plaid
3rd grade in sparkly superman outfits. The song definitely had nothing to do with superman.
 Every adult's worst nightmare: recorder performance
 These 6th graders were the MCs, but the looked more like a bride and groom to me
1st grade cheerleaders!

 5th grade sailors
 This is the 5th grade teacher conducting them. She was in charge of the whole festival. I love her. She doesn't speak a lot of English, but she tries really hard, and she's so cute.
Kindergarten had a costume change and came back dressed as Elvis!

 6th grade
 The 5th graders were imitating this famous cooking/drum show called Nanta
1st grade Indian dance

No comments:

Post a Comment