Thursday, April 14, 2011

I don't have a clever title

Tuesday principal came into my classroom around 4:00 and said "Breann. In-ko one room. I." That was her way of saying she was going to drive me home. About 30 seconds after getting in the car, she said "Breann. My churchee. Sunday?" Ugh. No principal, I do not want to go to your Korean church. Then she said something about the park near my house. I couldn't figure out what she was trying to tell me, but I think she wanted to walk around the lake together. She speaks basically no English, and I speak basically no Korean, and the lake is 2 miles, so imagine what that walk would be like. Plus, I had to go to Korean class, so I didn't even have time for a walk. Luckily the park was closed, so I avoided that for at least one week. I'm sure she'll try again. She wants to be best friends.

Yesterday afternoon I was teaching. Alone. No Sam. All the kids kept looking out the window, so I looked out too. And guess what I saw? All the Korean teachers playing volleyball. Including Sam. What a jerk. I was educating the children, and they were getting tan. Not fair.

Yesterday I also decided to buy curtains. I have these blinds, but they suck. It's like the sun rises directly outside my window. It wakes me up every day around 6, and I usually don't have to get up until 7:00 or 7:30. Very frustrating. So, Katie and I took a shopping trip to Lotte mart. We found curtain rods, but no curtains. So then I thought I'd just look for a sheet, only Koreans don't use sheets on their beds. So next I'll look at a fabric store. That should be an interesting trip. Buuut I did buy an exercise ball. I did some push ups and sit ups before writing this. I tried to pay for my exercise ball with my debit card, and it wasn't working. Luckily I had the bank of Katie, and she paid for me. Today I found out that some genius tried to hack into the bank's computer system, and the bank had no choice but to pull the plug, so nobody's credit, debit, or ATM cards work. So my money is trapped in my account and I can't get it out until they fix things. Would this ever happen in America? I don't think so.

This morning I started they day off right by skyping with my friend Jillian :) I rode the bus to school with one of my students. I give kids stickers when they're being good - I usually stick them on their noses or cheeks, but this 1st grade boy wanted me to put them on his lips today, so I did. It was really cute. A 2nd grade girl said "I love you" and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Some 3rd grade girls braided my hair and taught me Korean words. One of my 6th grade boys came into class with a pink blanket wrapped around his legs because his friend poured water on his pants. In 6th grade we watched Mr. Bean videos and then talked about what happened using the past tense. Fun and educational! Sam also brought me a donut as a peace offering for ditching me for volleyball yesterday. I love my job.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog popped up in my newsfeed and I am so glad that it did! I just spent the last 45 mins reading your posts instead of studying! Way more entertaining so it was a good trade off! I can't believe you like K POP! I'm so excited that I can share that with someone else! It seems like you are doing great and really enjoying Korea. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If all the debit cards from one bank all the sudden just stopped working here I feel that the country would be in a state of panic! And I'm glad tan Sam bought you a donut :)

    ReplyDelete