Thursday, April 7, 2011

This and That

It hasn't been the most exciting few days - I've been sick. But here are the highlights

Sunday I saw a movie in the theater in English! It was the newest Meet the Parents - the one with the kids. It was cute. In America I probably would not have spent the money to see it in the theater, but my standards are different in Korea.

Monday I tried to teach the kiddos English, I came home, cooked dinner, and took a nap because I wasn't feeling so great. I woke up, skyped with Grandma, did a little cleaning, and went back to bed. I like to live on the edge...

Tuesday was my first Korean class! I made it to city hall all by myself, but city hall consists of 3 buildings. Of course, Korean class was in the 3rd building I looked in. Its was ok though, I was early. At the beginning of class 2 photographers and 2 news cameras came and filmed/took pictures of us. They got all up on our faces - it was strange. The next day my kids said they saw me on TV. It must have been a slow news day. My Korean teacher is really funny - her favorite thing to say is "You know too much...you should die." (she did not say this to me...I definitely don't know too much) Then she laughs and says "I kid...Korean style." We learned the whole alphabet on Tuesday. I use the term "learned" loosely - I have a long ways to go. But I'm being a good student and doing my homework :)

Wed I went out to dinner with some friends: Carlo, Alida, and Katie. We had chicken wings and they were DELICIOUS! I love all meat that is not fish.

Today is Thursday, and it rained. Koreans think that there is pollution AND radiation in the rain. Parents kept their kids home from school, people stayed home...I think they're overreacting. I believe I have a greater chance of dying in a car accident in Korea than dying of radiation rain. One of my friends tried to explain to his co-teacher that there's more radiation in an x-ray than in the rain, and I guess she didn't even know there was radiation in x-rays. So I think I'm safe...
Also, the lunch ladies say there is radiation in the fish. This is probably not true either, but maybe now people will stop making me eat so much seafood.
Today Sam left after one class to go to a business meeting. This has been happening a lot lately, and I don't love it. I forget how helpful translation is until I need something translated and there is no one there to do it. Today they gave me a replacement. This is exactly what happened
Sam: I have to leave now. But Dong-uk will come to class. He's the black glasses guy.
Me: Ok bye. Have fun at your meeting.
Sam walks out of the classroom, then turns around, smiles, and says: He is your age I think.
Thank you very much. But believe it or not, age is not the only criteria I have for dating someone.

2 comments:

  1. Haha really? I think the someone of the same age would make the perfect mate :)

    Love your blog Breann! Brings smiles to my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree - dont be so high maintenance.
    love it.

    ReplyDelete