Friday, September 30, 2011

Funny kiddos

Here are some things that happened at work this week:

I was teaching kindergarten, and we were sitting in a circle on the floor. A bug landed on my leg and one little boy reached out and killed it. I was both grossed out and impressed.

Another day a cute little boy in kindergarten was sitting by me in the circle and he held my hand the whole time. So precious. 

My 1st graders were drawing things that started with the letter O. They had to draw an octopus, and apparently they have no idea what an octopus looks like. One had 3 legs, one had 4, one had a million, one had a pig nose, and one looked like a fried egg.

I've discovered I can trick my 5th and 6th graders into doing anything by telling them its a game. If I say "today we're going to write" they say "uhhh teachaaaa" but if I say "today we're going to play a writing game" they say "YAY!" So we played some super fun writing and grammar games this week.

Yuri and I had open class. The principal, 4 teachers, and 4 parents came to watch. A few of them said "good job" before they left, and one teacher told me she liked my earrings. I'm glad she was paying attention...

I realized one of my kids doesn't know that Q and U are different letters. They sound similar, but look very different.

The 2nd graders made "I want" books. They all wanted cookies, cake, pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, spaghetti, bread, and candy. I was so proud they didn't want kimchi :)

One day I only had a few kids so I let them play charades. I made them act out things like wolf, alligator, fish, flying, surgeon, hair stylist...

Yuri and I had the kids break up into groups. Half the kids had to act things out and the other half had to guess what they were doing. One of them was dancing, and without hesitation, 2 5th grade boys grabbed hands and started slow dancing. And their partners figured it out right away.

Thursday morning Sam and I spent 45 minutes talking and looking at facebook instead of lesson planning.

Friday morning I went to Jenny's office to ask her one question and we ended up talking for an hour and a half.

We were practicing vocabulary words by throwing a ball around - whoever had the ball had to say what the word was. Then somebody accidentally threw the ball out the window, and the game was over.

I saw the 5th and 6th graders having gym class outside. They were in 2 lines and they were supposed to throw balls to their partner. The ball almost always went to the wrong person, or bounced way too short, and kids were running all over the place. It was so entertaining! Phy ed has obviously taken a back seat to math and science.

My kids think "unbelievable" is a really great word for describing the way things look.

No comments:

Post a Comment