Thursday, October 31, 2013

At work yesterday...

When I got to work yesterday the boss lady and some kids were standing in the hallway because the door was broken. We could unlock it but not open it. The top corner somehow got jammed overnight so we were stuck outside. The kids thought it was hilarious of course. Boss lady did not find it hilarious, and she went to find a locksmith and I stayed behind with the children. My coworker James showed up and wondered why we were all waiting around out in the hallway. I told him what the problem was and he yanked that door right open. For a second we were excited, then pretty immediately we regretted it. We decided next time to just leave the door closed and go home - good excuse to not work right?


In between the first and second classes a spontaneous game of "What time is it Mr. Fox" broke out. It was seriously so cute and heartwarming to see all the kids actually playing nicely together. There were first graders and fifth graders and boys and girls, and everybody was happy. I loved it!



In one of my highest classes we were working on writing, and in the spirit of Halloween I gave them words like ghost and zombie and monster to make sentences with. I told them to write a sentence with blood and one boy wrote this: I killed my sister and her blood was red. Ahhh, sibling love. 

I finished out the day by teaching Lightning Thief to my middle school class. I read that book in a young adult lit class and loved it, and now I'm having so much fun teaching it! I'm thrilled to have students that not only understand what they're reading, but enjoy it too. One girl laughs out loud a lot...its so cute. I have a good time just watching her read and giggle at the funny parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment