Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Happy Chuseok!

A few weeks ago it was Chuseok - Korea's version of Thanksgiving. Most people get 3 days off but my work is awesome and I got the whole week! I spent Monday and Tuesday moving and unpacking and organizing and making multiple trips to the store to buy plates and bowls and cleaning supplies and other necessities. I learned a little something during my first trip to Home Plus: the good thing about needing everything is not having to think - you just put it in the basket. The bad thing is the check out counter. Ouch. 

Thursday was beach day! I've been going to the beach all summer and this was by far the best day. The water was warm, the waves were big and fun, and it wasn't crowded at all because everybody was off celebrating with their grandmas. The only Korean person on the beach was InAi. It was actually weird to see so many foreigners at the same time. 



And then it was time to go to Seoul. Oh Seoul. I've expressed my love for that city before; I think the thing that makes me the happiest is that I can just blend in. Most of the time I feel like a foreigner first and person second, and its nice to get away from that once in a while. I almost always end up feeling a little homesick there - probably because everything around me feels more like America so I think about the people and places I'm missing. Sarah and Jillian I thought about you a lot while I was shopping. You would have laughed at the same weird outfits as me and helped me spend my money. 

We didn't really do anything out of the ordinary - I've been there so many times that I've seen and done all the touristy stuff. We explored the market, ate delish Mexican (and a lot of other) food, spent hours shopping, drank coffee, got a little lost. Twas a wonderful weekend! 

Julie and I wore matching gray and white stripes. Great minds think alike! 

Paper choices

Myeong-dong...my favorite area

Insa-dong

City nature

Julie talked me into taking sticker pictures, and it ended up being so fun! We look super authentic and traditional I'm sure. 

We stumbled upon this fun fountain show on our way back to the subway one night. I enjoyed taking pictures of it as much as the kids enjoyed playing in it. 


Until next time, Seoul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment