Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Making friends with the principal?

I have a morning routine at Sun-am. I go to the principal's office and say hello and bow, then I go to the vice principal's office and say hello and bow. Then I go to Yu-ri's room and talk to her for a few minutes - I do not bow to her, then I go to my classroom.

Today on my way to my classroom my principal called me back into her office. She gave me some coffee, a Korean workbook (i'm not sure if she actually wants me to do it or not, but i will just in case) and she showed me pictures of her family. Then I went to my classroom and did some work. A few hours later she came into my classroom with a plate of rice cakes and some milk. She also stuck around for part of my lesson. Then, she sat with me at lunch. In the entire month that I have been here, I haven't interacted with her as much as I did today. I think we're friends now? Her English is not awesome, so I just smile and say "ok" a lot. She also says "nice to meet you" every time she sees me. I always say "nice to see you too" but she's not taking the hint...

Today was Wed, which means I go to both schools. At Jang Saeng Po, Sam was only there for one of my afternoon classes, then he had to go to some meeting. They gave me another Korean to help me, but I actually really missed Sam. I guess we're bonding or something. We have a good working relationship :) haha. So I'll be happy to see him again tomorrow. He remembers to tell me what he translates in Korean, and we laugh at the kids together, and he pretty much lets me be in charge of the class, which I appreciate.

Tonight Katie and I tried to make cookies in the microwave. It did not work. At first the dough wasn't even dough, so we added some oil and another egg. Then it didn't have much flavor, so we added some vanilla and chocolate. This is not the way you're supposed to make cookies. Then we needed more eggs, so we took a quick trip to 7/11. So, the moral of the story is, please send me cookies from home :)

4 comments:

  1. Haha I can just picture you trying to make those cookies... Im glad you were brave enough to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOASTER OVEN!!! YES!! - Love it that you and the OLD MAN are bonding!! :D and WAY to model good English with the principal! Maybe you should show her some pics of your family/home next time!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete