Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Weekend update

It's been a few days. Here are the highlights.
Saturday I went to the market near my apartment with my neighbor friend Alexis. I learned that the market is the best place to buy fruits and vegetables - they're cheaper than in the grocery store, and if you speak Korean you can barter :) I didn't buy anything, but Alexis did. One of the Korean ladies wanted to hold my hand while Alexis bought strawberries from her. That was kind of strange.

Later on Saturday Katie and I walked around looking for Ulsan Grand Park. Its obviously a pretty big park, so we figured we shouldn't have a problem finding it. Wrong. We never found it. So instead we went to a park near my apartment. There was a nice walking trail around a little lake. Or so we thought. We rounded a corner and the lake literally tripled in size. I was so tired by the end of it! And somehow there were tons of old ladies in track suits speed walking around the whole thing and lapping us. It was a little bit sad. It's really pretty though, it feels like being at the cabin. I didn't have my camera, but next time I go back I'll take lots of pictures.

A lot of times Korean students see foreigners on the street and would like a free English lesson, so when Katie and I are together LOTS of Koreans want to talk to us. On Saturday a group of boys said "welcome to Korea" and another one said "I am from Korea. Where are you from?" We were so proud because that was one of the English lessons from last week. Its nice to know somebody's paying attention :)

Sunday it rained allllllllllll day long. After church we decided we'd watch movies at my apartment and make popcorn, so we asked the cab driver to take us to Home Plus to buy the popcorn. He brought us to a random street corner and said "stop" and made us get out. It was SO FUNNY! I recognized where we were - we were close enough to Home Plus that he definitely should have gotten us there, but far enough away that it was annoying to walk in the rain.

Monday morning there was a staff meeting. These are obviously in Korean, so I daydream and try to look interested. Halfway through the meeting the principal was giving a speech, then she asked me in English how my weekend was and wanted me to answer her in front of everyone. So I was part of the meeting :)

After the meeting Yuri and I ended up going to the bank - during work. Long story short, I needed cash this weekend and I couldn't get it. So we spent the morning not lesson planning, but on the phone and at the bank. I was so happy though because my wallet once again has some cash in it. Nice.

Today at school the big kids played lots of games, and the little kids drew pictures of animals. More teachers talked to me - none of their English is awesome so they get nervous about saying anything besides "hello," which sometimes makes a boring day for me. But not today :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi breann! It's your cousin Kelly! I think it's so cool how youre in Korea that must be really difficult to do and to understand everything! Grandma gave me your blog address it's really cool! And it's funny how someone took your pic because youre blonde! I would text you or call but I lost your number haha sorry! I hope you have a great wild time.
    Love,
    Your cousin Kelly Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start practicing girl - you'll be piping up at staff meetings - IN KOREAN!!! :)

    ReplyDelete