Monday, May 2, 2011

Sun-am Sports Day

Sports day is AWESOME! It's nothing like track and field day, which is what I was expecting. At Korean sports day there are coreographed dances, organized games, relay races, songs, stretches. And an audience of parents and grandparents who have taken the day off work. And its all been practiced several times the week before. I took TONS of pictures so you can feel like you were there too.
Some group stretching before sports day officially begins
The 5th and 6th grade girls did a dance
With some drums
The PA system was somebody holding a microphone in front of a boom box. I expect better technology out of this country
1st grade races
A variation of "clean up your backyard" except they don't just draw a line on the ground - they make 2 people stand in the middle and hold a sheet. They definitely got hit with a lot of balls
Kindergarten dance! They dressed up like sparkly elves. It was adorable
1st and 2nd graders had to push these big, not-so-round balls around
This was my favorite game! It had 3 parts
Step 1: Blow up balloons
I helped
Step 2: Put them in a bag...
...and run around with it
Step 3: Pop the balloons!
2nd grade umbrella dance
Grandparents played the fishing game
This is vice principal and principal. Principal is on the right
This is Dong-uk. He spent most of the day squishing ants
Kiddos
 This guy had a HUGE pile of candy wrappers on the bench next to him. He spent a lot of time eating, and not a lot of time running
Koreans are TERRIFIED of the sun! They think pale skin is beautiful. It was 70 today, and every single Korean was wearing pants, long sleeves, gloves, and a hat/visor that covers the entire face. I was the only one in short sleeves, and people kept trying to cover me up. I told them I want to be tan, and they laughed
Whole school standing at attention. They're like little soldiers
Group stretching after all the activities
People who did zero activity all morning participated in the stretching. I didn't think that was necessary, so I took pictures of them instead.

I had so much fun today! I mostly hung out and took pictures. There were a few games where kids had to run into the audience - one time a bunch of kids gave me a hug and said I was beautiful. That was fun. Another time I had to run around the track with a boy. Most of the kids went home with their parents after sports day was done, so I decided to make English class a movie day. The best part about all this is that I get to do it at my other school on Thursday :)




















No comments:

Post a Comment